Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reflection and Failure

I like reflecting on the past year when it comes close to entering a new year. Reflection guarantees an array of feelings for me. Reflection brings a lot feelings of failure, joy, thankfulness, and disappointment. I'm really good at remembering my failures. I'm good at recognizing that I failed to fulfill my New Year's Resolutions, I'm good at remembering all the time I wreaked havoc on relationships, and focusing on all the times that failed to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, as well has loving others and Christ in God has so loved me. I think there is a place for looking back and remembering that I failed, and in many ways, that I failed miserably.


This is my problem though, I focus so much on how I failed, that I can't even remember all the victories that Christ won for me, all the great memories that I have, all the relationships that grew, and new relationships that started. I'm so focused on my mess ups that I can't even thank the Lord for all that He has taught me, the new things that I've learned about Him, and how He has made me look just a little bit more like Christ.


So over the next few days I want to purpose to remember all great things that God has done in this past year of my life. I want to look back on my failure and instead of being discouraged, remember that God's grace is so much greater than my failures. My failures should remind me of the gospel.

 "You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today. "
Deuteronomy 15:15
I was a slave to sin. Sin was my Egypt, it was place full of failure with no way out. But the gospel is that God redeemed me out of my Egypt. He bought me back and I'm no longer a slave to failure and sin. All those failures have been nailed to the cross and I bear them no more. I'm remembering that I'm redeemed, and I believe that by His grace He will continue the great work that He has begun in me. Instead of looking back and feeling discouraged, I'm looking back knowing that I have hope. I'm looking forward to this next year. I know I'll fail, but I also believe that God is going to do great things. I'm praising God for his great grace that is so much greater that all my failures!

No comments:

Post a Comment