Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm Blessed

I've heard it said over and over that the older generation in the church is the most faithful to pray. I embraced this, and believed that it was true, but until this last Monday I never understood what it felt like to for someone to tell you that they pray for you every single day. I had never understood the reality of what this meant for me.

I was at work on Monday, when I saw Jane Schneider (an over 80's lady from my church)walk in. I work at Panera Bread and so I see people from church there all the time. Seeing people from church is always the best part of my work day, but seeing Mrs. Schneider was the biggest blessing.

A little over two years ago I asked Jane Schneider to be my prayer partner as I was preparing to go on a mission trip with the youth group to New Orleans, Louisiana. We were required to have about five prayer partners from certain categories like: Parents, small group leaders, someone from the missions committee, and someone over the age of 65. So I gave her about three prayer cards, talked to her a few times that summer and that was pretty much the end of it.
When she came into Panera on Monday to celebrate Dorthy Brusko's birthday, I said  "hi" and told her who I was(most people don't recognize me at work). We talked for a few minutes and then she told me something that shocked, blessed, and changed me. She said "Do you know that I still pray for you every day?" I was shocked to the point that I almost cried. I was overwhelmed by how blessed I felt. I spoke with her for a few more minutes, and thanked her for praying for me, but then I had to go back to work.

Throughout the rest of the day I found myself thanking and praising the Lord for the older people in RBC, specifically for Mrs. Schneider. I barely pray for people more than a few times a week, and this older woman prays for me every single day, and has been for over two and half years! I don't deserve that sort of blessing.

I'm blessed. More than I even know. God gives us good gifts that we don't deserve and each one is just another reason to praise Him. I hope that one day I'll be like Mrs. Schneider. I want to live out the gospel like she does, I want to be faithful to pray like she does, I want people to see Jesus in me like I can see Him in her.

1 comment:

  1. This is super great, Katelyn. Being prayed for is truly an undeserved blessing and honor!

    ReplyDelete